Thursday, July 15, 2010

cheesecake

i love cheesecakes especially the blueberry one. Ever since I came here in Canada I think I just ate cheesecake only twice because it is expensive. The first cheesecake I bought was from Fortino's (a grocery chain here) and it's the house brand, President's Choice. It costs I think CAD$7.00 for a quarter of a 9-inch round pan.


I also tasted one from Karpaty/Euromax (Polish Grocery) but I don't like their version of cheesecake because it has gelatin in it, not pure cream cheese.

Since I really crave for blueberry cheesecake, I decided to make one last weekend. But first I have to buy the ingredients, cream cheese, filling, sour cream. I bought first also a baking pan from Winners. I really have to do this because I have a pan already. We went to NO Frills last Sunday, bought cream cheese, blueberry filling (No Name brand since it costs less but the same quality), 14% sour cream, Graham for crust, all these from the recipe "Philadelphia New York Cheesecake Squares."

I did not follow the exact recipe since it calls for a square one, so I used a round pan, reduce the measurements in half (I'm on a budget!), and it's my first time to do it so making a small cake is OK in case the output will no be ok. But I'm really hoping it will...

Ingredients complete, measuring cups, spoons, checked. Oh, the mixer! We dropped by at my sister-in-law's house to pick up the long overdue of picking up the mixer. She gave me the mixer because she's not using it for a long time. Did I mention that my husband's family are experts in baking? Yeah, my mother-in-law and her daughters. I think they grew up baking since they make good money out of it. And they made good cakes as I have heard. I tasted the rolls, macaroons and chiffon cake, and they are right it's really good!

So I had the mixer and I'm ready to roll. I made the cake last Monday, so tired already last Sunday.

Read the recipe over and over, then started. Crust first, then mixing the ingredients, cheese, sugar, sour cream, eggs. and i forgot to add vanilla. It's not on my list when I did the shopping. Hmmp, one ingredient out. What the heck, with or without vanilla, I will finish the cake!

After preparing for about 30 minutes, baked the cake for an hour (the recipe said 40-45 mins.) Cooled it down and refrigerated it. I reminded my kids not to touch the cake because it's not yet done.

I came home that night from work and excited to finish the cake. I opened the blueberry filling and put some on top of the cake. Wow, I can't wait to taste it...




Not bad for the first time, even though the sides are not perfect. My craving for cheesecake is satisfied now. My husband and kids liked it and they want me to bake one again...
And the cheesecake only lasted for 1 day...





Next for my baking, carrot cake (I did this before!), Mommy Fely's famous rolls(only tried once) and crinkles (as inspired by my friend Duch back in college).

2 comments:

  1. i like it! pengeng recipe:-) namiss ko tuloy ang blueberry cheesecake. alam mo yung pag gustong gusto mo kumain ngayon na ngayon na, pero wala naman dito sa bahay? waaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. ay naku pearl, alam ko yun feeling kaya eto pinilit ko gumawa. sige email ko sayo recipe.

    ReplyDelete