Monday, November 22, 2010

in-laws

Last Saturday, I had a chance to talk to my mother-in-law via long distance call. Usually we talked about how's life here and there, tell her stories about her grand kids. She really missed the kids.

We lived with her for 7 years. Before it's just the three of them my parents-in-law and hubby living in the old house plus one house help. My husband and I stayed there after we got married. Then came our daughter no.1, then no.2 and then our son. For 7 years the house was full of noise made by the three kids. The house was really organized, free of clutter and mess since my MIL is a retired elementary teacher. But when the kids were born, the house was different.

MIL is so kind to me, it's like I'm the daughter. But still mother and daughter in law relationship has it flaws. We don't fight but there are instances that we have misunderstanding. And usually we always had different views on everything maybe because of the age gap. She's old school and I ,a young and modern mom.

And then we migrated here. Now the house is organized and clean, no more mess, clutter free. Of course, no more kids there, no more yelling, running, crying. It's the same as before. Only my parents in law and two house help in the house. My mom (my own mother) told me that it's so silent there unlike before.

I miss the house, and I miss my in-laws especially MIL. If I have the time to talk to her, I really give her a nice conversation with me. Unlike her daughters (sisters-in-law) and son(my hubby), they don't have the patience to have a chitchat. After few minutes they will give the phone to me. It's so weird how they talk to their mother, it's different compared to me when I was talking to my own mom.

Well, it's different for every family. But I'm very lucky to part of this family. I'm really grateful because my hubby's family is so supportive, very generous, very helpful. And they treat me really as PART of their family. And love me, too. That's what you get when you gave them beautiful and adorable kids!

13 comments:

  1. Aw!
    It is SO good that you can have a good relationship with your mother-in-law. Awesome, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good day, becca! it's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed in this way! My MIL is pretty cool, but we aren't super close. I think it is great to be this close to her! And? Totally WARMS my heart to hear this, because I am going to be a MIL one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it sounds like your MIL is very lucky indeed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,debbie!

    thanks! and I'm very lucky, too, that she's my MIL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Ansel,
    You are very lucky to have them and to have you also.
    I am happy for you. How I wish I could have too.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're blessed to have you too bff:-) Love the story!:-) I miss our chats, we will be going to Nebraska tomorrow til Fri for the thanksgiving..Will be reading your entries there. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi,pearl!
    happy thanksgiving!
    miss ko na chika!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know how rare your situation is? You're very lucky! I've had two MILs, and I could have done without both. I can't believe I'm going to write this, but I sort of wish I had a good relationship with mine, the way you do with yours. It sounds so lovely...and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there!
    Open communication is really needed to have a good relationship with your mother-in-law. And I'm glad you do!
    Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi,sandra and kristine!
    thanks for the comment. My relationship with my MIL is not perfect. Maybe it's respect to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are lucky to have a mother-in-law like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there,

    I am still on the process of building a good relationship with my MIL and I am thinking positive on that. We are lucky to still have our in-laws because there are vast learning in life that we can adapt from them.

    ReplyDelete