Wednesday, February 9, 2011

our own

We moved to our house last year. It's been a year already and we are really enjoying it. This house is our very first house to own. We've been married for nine years and had not own or even rented one. We lived back home in my parents-in-law's house since there's only the two of them in a big house. For seven years, I managed to live with in-laws. They are very kind to me and my family but it's a different thing if you don't have your own place. Our decisions should include the in-laws especially if we talked about the kids. But there are many nice and not-so nice memories in that house.

When we migrated here, we stayed in my sisters-in-law's house again. Another phase of my life of living with in-laws but with my husband siblings. I survived living with their parents so maybe it's easier. MIL is not a bad mil. As I mentioned in in-laws, they are a very kind, caring and very generous family. But you cannot avoid personal differences. I'd got along nicely with them and if something comes up which will cause rift, I kept my mouth shut. I am a very patient and understanding person. We have lived with them for more than a year.

Back to our own house. We planned to buy our own house but not that soon. I saw this house in listings through the net and was familiar with the address. I told my husband and we checked it out one saturday. Apparently, it's the open house day. We went to the open house and upon seeing the inside, I fell in love with the house. I loved the lay-out and it's a small house, the right size for our family. The agent welcome and entertain us. She learned that we don't have an agent so she really entertained us. My husband talked to her about real estate thing (he's a good negotiator :) ). My husband and I discussed and thinked very carefully if we are going to buy the house. We will just try it, if we are not approved for the mortgage or if the owners will not be happy with our offer, it will be of with us. At least we tried and experienced how to buy a house.

To cut the long story short, we got the house! We don't have any idea of how it is to buy a house here in Canada. How the mortgage works, the legal matters, etc. But with the help of that very kind agent, we managed to gather all the documents and requirements we need. We are so stressed during that time especially when we made our first offer. I was so nervous because we are talking a big amount of money that we will borrow from the bank and if a bank will approve our application. And we did it! On our own without the help of my in-laws! It's a big achievement for my husband and I. We have decided on our own. And maybe the house is destined to be ours.

We are just blessed because we have good jobs that can afford to buy a house. And still hoping we will find a better job. And we are thankful to SILs for being supportive.
What about the kids? THEY WERE VERY HAPPY AND EXCITED. And the one thing that they said that time- "Yey, we can be noisy, can yell, play and do anything we like in our house!" See, the kids too are aware of how hard living in another's place.
By the way, our place is just two blocks from SILs house.







8 comments:

  1. Oh it sounds like this house WAS destined to be yours! What a lovely story:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you. You have your own now. Goodluck sa bagong haus:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks modern mom and gingersnap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an adorable house! I'm so happy you got your own place. You deserved it. As I always say, no castle is big enough for two queens. Wishing you many happy memories in your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! What a gorgeous home!! Owning sure beats all, you must be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @tammy- it is very true, no castle is big enough for 2 queens. *wink*

    @jenner- thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. ansel i like the facade of your house, ngayon ko lang nakita. mukhang malaki bahay nyo. it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete