Monday, February 28, 2011

a working mother's dilemma

I was getting ready for work this afternoon, when my kid's school called. Second daughter is not feeling well. Here it goes again my dilemma- not going to work and be a good mom and take care of my sick kid or be a good employee even you have a sick kid - who is staying with the baby sitter. I hate times like this! I cannot asked my hubby to come home right away because I think my kid cannot wait in the school office for another hour and wait for someone to fetch her.
So what did I do? I called my supervisor to tell that I am not coming to work which I guess is pissed off with my short notice. We work on shifts so it's hard when one is absent. But it's not my fault, I don't have time to make arrangements for my sick kid so it's better to take the day off. And I'm not sure how sick my kid is. Screw them! I'm gonna be with my sick kid no matter what you say.
I picked up my sick kid and we went to the doctor. She had a fever, coughing, with stomachache and really not feeling well. With this kind of weather, who will not be sick? She was prescribed an antibiotic for her throat. Now, she's feeling better.
Tomorrow, I'll be working as I promised and already asked somebody who I can trust to take care of my sick kid.
This is the life of living in the foreign land!

4 comments:

  1. ahhh I had this same dilemma two weeks ago - I ended up taking time off. But its very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...minus the pissed off boss, I did the same exact thing, and my son has the exact same symptoms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is SO hard, isn't it? I feel bad all the time for the same reason. And? My husband has a crazy busy schedule, so it always seems as though I am the person who is taking off! Motherhood & Career are not easy, are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always such a tough call. But I think you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete