Wednesday, December 8, 2010

foreign land


Thanks Shell for having this link.


Do I like it here?

Which is better here or back home?

These are the two questions I always encounter. What's my answer? Yes, I like it here. But I missed back home. Here is better, that's the practical answer.

For more than two years now, my family is surviving here in Canadian soil. Same situation for all the immigrants out there struggling in a land that will give a better life.

I am always thinking of going back every time I feel so low. Questioning myself why do we have to go here and experience all these hardships. Living here is a big difference compared back home. From the weather, food, people and culture. Working with different people(different culture backgrounds) is a shock for me. I missed working with my countrymen because they treat you nice, and with respect not as some kind of dirt coming from a small country. Yes, that I experienced here. Maybe because of my color and English is not my first language. Maybe because I am an immigrant and they say there's no racial discrimination or whatsoever. But the people who treated me like this are people who migrated here also.

But I like it here if we are not talking of my job. It is good for my kids. and where can you have free Catholic education? It's for their future. And we learn to be simple. We are not easily tempted of the material things. My husband and I became better parents to our kids. My hubby really changed from a do-nothing-husband before now a hands-on-husband, domesticated and more responsible. Back home we seldom talk because he is always out. We have only each other now. No friends, no distractions, only us his family. And that's the best thing.

But what am I going to come back for? Back home we don't have our own house. We don't have a job. And if we come back we will start all over again. Maybe I just missed back home. Missed our families and the Filipino culture. And it's Christmas time again, I love Filipino Christmas.

Next year, I'll be our third year here and will apply for citizenship. Excited? Yes and no. But definitely we will apply.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, it's so hard when you are somewhere that isn't home. Even if the new place is better, it still isn't home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how it feels to be misplaced. But at least you have your little family. That means everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your supportive comment on my blog yesterday. I completely agree with you about doing it for your family. If I wasn't a single mother with a child to support, and a mortgage to pay, I'd quit my job in a heartbeat!!


    I'm so impressed with your English! I'm glad this experience has drawn you and your husband closer to each other. I'm sorry that you're missing home so much during the holidays. But, you'll make lots of new memories with your own family. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a very strong person. I admire you for stepping outside your comfort zone to make a better life for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you have been treated poorly by some of my fellow Canadians! I hope things are improving for you and your family. I can't even imagine the bravery you and your husband had, to pack up your family and move so far from home. I admire you both! Good luck, and I hope you have much happiness, now and in the future. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, anne!
    things have improved compared before maybe we were just culture shocked. It's part of our adjustment.
    thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete