Friday, December 24, 2010

stranger

I was in the dollar store this afternoon. As I was waiting in line, a man said to me, "Kumusta? (How are you?)"

I thought he is talking to another person, then he said again, "Magandang araw! (Good day!)."
And I just realized that he is talking to me in my native language. He is speaking Tagalog but he is not a Filipino like me. He is caucasian. I was looking at him and I replied, "Mabuti naman (I'm fine.)" Then I asked him how come he knew my language. He said that he is married to a Filipina woman, had been in the Philippines and he liked it.

I paid for my item and said goodbye to him. It's so nice to meet someone who is trying to speak my native language. And he is proud also that he married a Filipina.

But I was also scared because I thought someone is making fun of me. I don't usually talk to strangers. Speaking my native language is not funny but I realized he just want be friendly since I looked like a Filipina similar maybe to his wife.

But you'll never know...it's just creepy.

2 comments:

  1. i think it's nice of him ansel:-) it happened to me at a bank's atm too, but he was a Filipino like us. Apparently, our families are the only Filipino families in town:-) nice nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) it has happened to me,too. seeing how proud the guy was on being married to a Pinay made me smile.

    ReplyDelete